Senior Property Accountant
- Ensure tenant/client satisfaction through accurate account invoicing, maintenance contract negotiation and preparation.
- Supervise property accounting staff and property manager to ensure an exceptional level of tenant service and property/asset management.
- Maintain all financial records and appropriate ledgers for commercial/retail properties.
- Manage cash flow.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements for senior management’s review.
- Attend meetings with clients and senior management, as required.
- Present financial reports and related information, as required.
- Ensure that all commercial/retail premises, equipment, vehicles and business risks are adequately insured.
- Compare, negotiate, and provide recommendations for insurance coverage to senior management.
- Ensure that effective accounting/financial controls and procedures are in place.
- Accurately prepare and file tax returns for all related corporate entities on time.
- Manage all tax-related matters for commercial/retail/residential rental properties.
- Ensure accuracy of all accounting records.
- Ensure full compliance with GAAP and ASPE policies and practices.
- Effectively manage all accounting functions including A/P, A/R, revenue accounting, general ledger, financial statement preparation and analysis, information preparation, budgeting, forecasting and planning for commercial/retail properties.
- Analyze and ensure the accurate collection, preparation and integrity of accounting/financial data including invoices, billings, bad debt, vendor contracts, hold backs, receivables etc.
- Work closely with senior management and consultants to analyze, monitor, and improve financial controls.
- Coordinate and work in partnership with other senior financial staff and support staff.
- Assist in the preparation of real estate development and construction project budgets and compare budget with actual costs on a monthly basis.
- Develop annual operating budgets in concert with senior management.
- Prepare regular budget progress reports.
- Keep senior management fully informed with respect to operational results and cash flow.
- Provide financial information and analysis to support decision-making and make recommendations.
- Ensure effective lease management including but not limited to managing AP/AR, insurance, property management and maintenance contracts.
- Monitor equipment rentals/leases and maintenance contracts and negotiate contract renewals.
- Ensure full compliance with WSIB and related legislation. Be aware of updates to legislation and inform senior management.
- Ensure full compliance with the Construction Act and related legislation. Be aware of updates to legislation and inform senior management.
- Review agreements of purchase and sale related to new or prospective commercial/retail properties, manage seller/purchaser obligations to ensure compliance.
- Prepare letters and correspondence for tenants, consultants, clients, and senior management.
- Recommend cost saving measures.
- Review and cost coding of incoming invoices for accuracy prior to distributing to accounting support staff.
- Proactively and effectively respond to client/consultant concerns and requests.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be proactive and self-driven.
- Be flexible and adaptive to change and willing to take on new challenges.
- Be highly organized and methodical.
- Possess superior oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Work effectively within a group environment or independently.
- Possess high standards for personal integrity and ethics.
- Possess excellent analytical skills.
- CGA, CMA, CA, or CPA accounting designation or significant experience in property management and accounting.
- A minimum of 5 years property management experience and specifically financial management.
- Advanced to expert computer and software skills and specifically Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate (formerly known as Timberline), MSWord and MSExcel.
- Knowledge of Yardi is an asset.
- Knowledge of construction job costing, construction progress draws, the Construction Act and property accounting/management is required.
How to Apply
We would like to thank all applicants for your interest in working as part of our team. Only those applicants selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted. If you’re interested, email your resume to email@example.com